- For it is unworthy of excellent men to lose hours like slaves in the labour of calculation which would safely be relegated to anyone else if machines were used. (Leibniz)
- Computation is the principle; the computer is the tool. (Dijkstra)
- If it should turn out that the basic logics of a machine designed for the numerical solution of differential equations coincide with the logics of a machine intended to make bills for a department store, I would regard this as the most amazing coincidence I have ever encountered. (Howard Aiken 1956)
Digimat is mathematics education for the digital society with all its wonders based on the language and methods of mathematics combined with the computational power of the computer.
DigiMat is mathematics with programming, where mathematics is used to express what to do and how, and programming is used to translate (with the help of a compiler) into statements in machine language to be carried out by a computer.
Following a mantra of Construct the World, DigiMat teaches how to
the World by digital mathematics using the computational power of the mobile, tablet, laptop , web and cloud.
DigiMat combines mathematics as language to model the World with programming as language to feed the computer with mathematics.
DigiMat can be seen as basic technology for creating computer games as interactive digital simulation.
The DigiMat Flight Simulator will soon appear as a stunning show case: It is the first flight simulator based on computing solutions to the Euler differential equations expressing first principle physics with the capability of predicting the full flight characteristics of an airplane, to be used in pilot training and certification of new airplanes. The DigiMat Flight Simulator can be experienced (and even programmed in most basic form) at an early age and so give many young minds inspiration to learn more.
Summary of Method:
- Decide what to describe/model by mathematics.
- Collect concepts/tools.
- Build Model by symbolic mathematics.
- Translate model to computer code.
- Use-Modify-Explore Model by computation.
- Understand-Extend Model returning to 5.
- Find new use of Model.